It’s not quite Italy or France, but Oregon’s small town of Florence has a charm all its own. Situated by the Siuslaw River just off of Highway 101, the town offers an array of adventures that makes it a perfect summer getaway for families or solo travelers alike.
Here are some activities to sample at this seaside spot:
• Old Town Browsing: Poke around in Old Town Books and Country Gifts, enjoy a caffeine dose at Siuslaw Coffee Roasters, or find a new kitchen knickknack at Kitchen Klutter.
• Equine Experience: Ride through the woods of the Siuslaw National Forest and down to the sandy beach with horses from the C&M Stables. They offer dune and beach rides as well as sunset and morning adventures.
• Paddling Fun: Check out the wildlife via the Siuslaw Water Trail. The 30-miles water system of the North Fork and Siuslaw rivers will take you past river otters, blue heron, osprey and salmon.
• Sand Boarding: Just like snowboarding, only in the dunes. Hike to the top, and rip down the soft and steep sand of Sand Master Park.
• Coastal Wandering: Take to the oceanside and explore the 19th century, newly restored Heceta Lighthouse. Or wander down to the Sea Lion Caves – the only sea lion rookery on U.S. soil.
Learn more about the spectacular Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area that starts right next door to Florence: https://www.shareoregon.com/en/listings/124787-the-oregon-dunes-national-recreation-area