Discover Portland the green and eco-friendly way! This award-winning walk, affectionately named our Portland 101 tour, illuminates all the reasons why Portland is regularly recognized as one of the best places to live (and visit!). You’ll hear about early and modern Portland as your guide shows you an enlightened city rich with artwork, parks, bridges, downtown trains & streetcars, fountains and friendly people. Even locals are amazed and entertained by what they learn! A leisurely stroll of one and a half miles meanders through the heart of downtown, leading eventually to the waterfront. You'll visit the world's smallest park, learn the secrets behind the statue Portlandia, drink from iconic 1912 bronze drinking fountains, see the actual penny flipped to name the city in 1845 . . . and much more!
A couple hours later, you’ll be an expert on these fascinating local themes:
• Livability and Sustainability - what this truly means to a Portlander
• Urban Planning & Design - why our unique downtown feels like you’re in Europe
• Alternative forms of transportation - how the city got built around people and not the automobile
• Public Art and the Percent for Art Program - setting aside money for public art is the law in Portland!
• Portland's Urban Green Spaces, Parks, and Gardens - if it rains, it must be green
• Why the official city motto is "The City that Works"
• And more! Really!
• When: Spring/Summer 10 AM & 2 PM daily with 5 PM tours Thursdays through Saturdays starting Memorial Day
• Length: About 1.5 miles and 2 hours
• Starting location: Indoors and under Pioneer Courthouse Square at the Theater under the Square - 701 SW 6th Ave at Yamhill Street
• Cost: $23 or less - check online for frequent special sale discounts at portlandwalkingtours.com
• Tickets: 503-774-4522 or http://www.portlandwalkingtours.com/tours/best-of-portland-city-tour
Rick7 years ago
Sounds wonderful, David and team. Thanks for posting your great Portland walking tours on ShareOregon!
PortlandWalkingTours7 years ago
We are happy to join the ShareOregon community, Rick!
Rick7 years ago
Thanks! Please tell all your friends about us so we keep growing fast as a community resource. :)