Since 2004 the Pacific Giant Vegetable Growers have raced giant pumpkins in Tualatin. Today the West Coast Giant Pumpkin Regatta has grown into an event huge event with a national reputation.
Costumed paddlers race their 1,000 pound pumpkins around the Lake of Tualatin Commons in a series of wacky races each October--usually the third Saturday, but stay tuned for details. The Regatta also includes a giant pumpkin weigh off, pie eating contest, kids' costume contest, pumpkin golf, pumpkin bowling, clown shows, hot food and much more.
Admission to the festival is free as are most of the activities. Typical Schedule of Events (Subject to change) 8:00am Pumpkins start to arrive for the Terminator Weigh Off 9:00am Regatta Run starts at Tualatin Community Park 10:00am Pacific Giant Vegetable Growers Terminator Weigh Off; New Seasons Market Giant Tomato Weigh Off 10:30am Mz Pearl's Variety Show on the main stage 11:00am Kids' Costume Contest Main Stage 11:30am Smokey and Rojo the Llama Boys arrive 12:00pm Village Inn Pumpkin Pie Eating Contest on the main stage 1:00pm Mz Pearl's Variety Show on the main stage 1:30pm Welcome and sponsor recognition on the main stage 1:40pm Tualatin High School Marching Band pep rally on the plaza 2:00pm Regatta races start: There are four heats all with different paddlers. Other activities usually happening throughout the day:
- Pumpkin Bowling - Knock down bowling pins using a pumpkin in one of four bowling lanes
- Pumpkin Golf - Try to hit floating golf balls in to pumpkins in the lake for a prize from Tualatin Island Greens. Located at the North end of the lake
- Village Inn Pumpkin Pie eating contest on the main stage. Stop by the Information Tent starting at 10:00am to sign up. Limit of 10 people per age category.
- Kids' Costume Contest. Sign up begins at 10:00am at the Information Tent. Limit of 25 kids per age group.
- Cabelas will have their mobile archery and BB range units on hand so you can take aim at targets. They will also have their Backyard Bass activity from 10:00am-2:00pm.
- Smokey and Rojo the llama boys will be on hand from 11:30 to 1:30pm.
- Clown extraordinaire Heather Pearl will be back to entertain the crowd with Mz. Pearl's Variety Show
- The Tualatin High School Marching Band will kick off the races with a pep rally on the plaza!
- Stilt Walker Joshua Sindel will be hard to miss as he strolls through the crowd between 10:30am-1:00pm
- Tualatin Public Library will be onsite with the Maker Space trailer.
- Tualatin Police Department - Check out th police motorcycle and meet an officer
- Willowbrook Arts Camp will be on hand doing crafts with the kids.
Food available typically includes options like:
- Spotlight Food Truck - Gourmet burgers, fries, hot dogs, hand dipped corn dogs, salads, & more! Vegetarian burgers and franks as well as some gluten free options.
- Creperie le Bon Temps - Sweet and savory crepes
- Doug's Kettle Corn - Original kettle corn, caramel corn, cheese corn.
- Eastwind Chocolates - Chocolate truffles, chocolate covered pretzels, and chocolate covered almonds.
- Lee Farms - Selling pumpkin donuts, apple cider donuts, apple cider and caramel apples.
- Starbucks will be handing out free hot cocoa and coffee
- Arts and Crafts vendors
- Regatta Merchandise Tent - Purchase a Regatta event or skull t-shirt, poster and coloring book. New this year a kids' color your own sugar skull shirt that can be colored with fabric markers and a Paddle or Die pint glass!
- Regatta poster artist Brenna White will be at the Regatta selling her amazing art work!
- Live Laugh Love Art - Hand blown glass pumpkins, glass garden art, and fall wooden signs.
- Zach Saffron will be selling his amazing carved pumpkins.
- The Tualatin Youth Advisory Council (YAC) will be hosting the pumpkin decorating and face painting station. Purchase a pumpkin to decorate while supplies last.
We hope to see you there! Learn more: www.tualatinoregon.gov/pumpkinregatta